Bringing back the magic formula of basic performance Shelby American has announced the return of their Shelby GTS post-title package for the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang. First seen at the New York International Auto Show, the Shelby GTS is available with a either a V6 or V8, normally aspirated or supercharged. One could say that the Shelby GTS is the spiritual rebirth of the extremely popular 2007-2008 Ford Shelby GT.
“The Ford Shelby GT was introduced in 2007 as an agile, reliable and affordable muscle car,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. “It dominated its SCCA racing class and was a popular canvas for enthusiasts to create their dream Shelby. Our Shelby GTS picks up that mantle and expands upon it with a choice of V6 or V8 power for a new generation of Shelby enthusiast who wants a car built just for them.”
Ever since Ford introduced the 3.7L V6 and 5.0L V8 Mustang for the 2011 model year, the Shelby research and development team has been secretly developing the GTS package. Once the Shelby GT350 was finalized in both coupe and convertible versions, the skunkworks team accelerated the project. Working with partners at Ford Racing, Borla and Baer, Shelby American enhanced the car’s suspension, strengthened the braking and coaxed more power out of the engine.
“The V6 Mustang is a particularly good platform for the Shelby GTS,” noted Shelby American vice president of operations Gary Patterson. “It’s even lighter and more nimble than the GT. And the V6 Shelby GTS makes about as much horsepower as the V8 in the Ford Shelby GT, but with better fuel economy at a lower price.”
The post-title package starts at $9,995.00, not including the base car. Superchargers and other options are available that allow buyers to personalize their dream Shelby. A limited number of the Shelby GTS will be built with reservations starting April 21; production is scheduled to begin in the fourth quarter of 2011.
The 2012 Ford Shelby GTS post-title package includes:
* Ford Racing handling pack including new springs, tuned stabilizer bars and front strut tower brace
* Fresh air package for the normally aspirated V6 tune or V8
* Borla exhaust system
* Shelby / Baer brakes
* Unique deep draw hood featuring classic Shelby design
* Black billet upper grill with Ford “Running Pony” emblem
* Unique Shelby front fascias
* Shelby LeMans stripes and side stripes
* “Shelby GTS” vehicle badges and official Shelby CSM interior plate
* “Powered by Ford” side badges
* “Shelby” lettering across the rear deck lid
The many options available include:
* Shelby superchargers for both V8 and V6 models
* 6 piston Shelby/Baer Brakes
* Adjustable control arms
* 18” to 20” wheels and tire packages
* Watts link rear suspension
* Two tone leather interior