HomeCarsRacing NewsTech NewsFord & Industry NewsShows & EventsVideo GalleryMustang PhotosMustang PeopleMustang ForumsMustang Events CalendarMustang LinksContact Us

Go Back   Forums at TheMustangNews.com > Pure Mustang > 2010 Mustang

View Poll Results: 2010 Shelby GT-500: Stud or Dud?
Stud 15 83.33%
Dud 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You must register or log in to vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Site Administrator

2010 Shelby GT-500: Stud or Dud?

The question is simple............

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Stuck in my ways

I don't care if it's hot pink with yellow stripes...

550 horsepower = Stud

For the record, I'll take mine without the HID lights, though. I like HIDs, but the regular lense surrounds are perfect.

Had: '90 GT conv., 92 LX notch

13.??@10? mph (We'll see!)
Trick Flow upper/lower
65MM throttle body
Full exhaust
3.73 gears
Intake
Steeda suspension
More to come...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Mustang Enthusiast

Look at that front end view! I love it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Mustang Enthusiast

Car = Stud
Hood = dud

The 05 concept got the hood correct
The GT500KR got the hood correct.
How dang hard is it to make a 'good' movern version of the 67/68 GT500 hood and put it on a modern GT500. They seemed to understand the 'concept' with the KR.

From 99-04 except for the 00 Cobra R all the best looking Mustangs came out of Team Mustang NOT svt--99 35th Anniversary limited edition, 01 Bullitt, 03/04 Mach 1. Why is it SVT can deliver HP but can't design themselves out of a box.

The modern GT500 screams for a 68 style GT500 hood along with body scoops-- SVT get over yourselves--if your building a GT500 then build the dang GT500. Ford had the same Problem with the Ford Gt (as in GT40)..when someone finally woke up and straightened out the designer...I love the Ford GT documentary from a few years back when Fred (can't recall his last name) the seniior guy on the project understood the concept and ended the design debate back in 2002--"The Ford GT40 should look like a GT40"...........same with a Shelby GT500. They got the facia down...but just can't seem to figure out a hood...just get SVT the hell away from this car.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Stuck in my ways

Get SVT away from this car? That's like saying "Get Steve Saleen away from Saleen.".....

Oops, bad example.

SVT has always been conservative with their styling, and the cars were always the proverbial "sleepers" (Ford GT aside). That's the idea. There are manufacturers out there that provide a more over the top look for you. The Roush has about twenty three fake vents, louvers, and scoops on it and screams for attention. I'm pretty sure thay will come out with a beautiful take on the new car.

Personally, I thing the 03-04 Cobra was an amazing looking car. Same with the 2009 currently available.

Styling is a matter of taste, mind you. That powertrain, however is indesputable.

Trick Flow upper/lower
65MM throttle body
Full exhaust
3.73 gears
Intake
Steeda suspension
More to come...

Last edited by chiefstang; 02-05-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Mustang Enthusiast

nice job. Like it better then the GT
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Mustang Enthusiast

2010 gt-500

The car looks changed but 540hp sucks you would think that as long as the man (Shelby) has been in the business that he would try to make bigger and better improvements to the engine not just the look of the car. Now when you see other cars coming out that are stock and matching 430+hp, and with some small upgrades they could be well over 550hp. Some say theirs is better, I'm not wanting to start getting into all that, but Shelby should be pushing the limits like the Corvette Z06. Since they are similar in price. Again this is my opinion, and I have a lot of respect for the man but if you have Ford backing you, push more to be the number one not just the second that is been the legend of Ford. Steve Saleen, Jack Roush are trying make difference, and not just a name. See the links below into what I am trying to say.

SMS Supercars - Lifestyle Performance Automobiles

ROUSH Performance Products
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang upgrade 003.jpg (34.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Stuck in my ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjo View Post
The car looks changed but 540hp sucks you would think that as long as the man (Shelby) has been in the business that he would try to make bigger and better improvements to the engine not just the look of the car. Now when you see other cars coming out that are stock and matching 430+hp, and with some small upgrades they could be well over 550hp. Some say theirs is better, I'm not wanting to start getting into all that, but Shelby should be pushing the limits like the Corvette Z06. Since they are similar in price. Again this is my opinion, and I have a lot of respect for the man but if you have Ford backing you, push more to be the number one not just the second that is been the legend of Ford. Steve Saleen, Jack Roush are trying make difference, and not just a name. See the links below into what I am trying to say.

SMS Supercars - Lifestyle Performance Automobiles

ROUSH Performance Products

??? Ok, there aren't many people that wrinkle their noses at 550 hp. That's 145 more than a comparably priced Corvette, 45 hp more than the Z06 which costs $75,000, and only falls short of the ZR1 which costs over six figures. A quick pulley swap fixes that.

What you have to remember is that SMS is a tuner company, not a full manufacturer. Manufacturers have stricter guidelines to adhere to, the first being reliability. Ford also has to figure in CAFE laws, and emissions. A production car will also have better driveability engineered into them. Things like sound resonance frequencies that SMS could care less about. Not to mention a huge price premium that carries these cars far, far away from the $45,000 price tag.

As far as production cars, the ZR1 is the only American car that has more power, and even looking at exotics, there are only a handfull of cars that have more, and those cars are all $300,000 and up. It has the same power as the Ford GT, and does it with only 5.4 liters vs the GM 7 liter. With eight cylinders vs the Veyron's 16.

Again, a pulley swap will give you more power than the ZR1 with a much smaller engine, and for less than half the money. I can understand complaining about the solid axle, but wrinkling your nose at 540 hp?????

Ps: An Ecoboosted 5 liter should scratch your itch though...

Trick Flow upper/lower
65MM throttle body
Full exhaust
3.73 gears
Intake
Steeda suspension
More to come...

Last edited by chiefstang; 02-05-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Mustang Enthusiast

All I am saying is that if Shelby is got the backing he should try to do more with the 5.4L, and yes he has regulations to abide by but if he was to work with Roush, and Saleen to come up with one of those unique cars. They could make one hell of a car. Those two have production type cars who also have rules to follow. Saleen which is a California based company. The 5.4 has so much more that is hidden it, that if someone could unleash the potential of that engine. Holy crap!!!! Some average joe posted a dyno run with the first year of the GT500 some tuner mods on it and that engine pumped out over a 1000hp. Now that is what I am talking about.
Now I am in a club of mustang phonetics from Roush Trac Pack, Shelby GT500, Ford GT, Saleen, and to after market mods. As mine is a sleeper, looks like a normal GT but hidden it is 480hp 4.6L at the wheels, and yes it is a tuner but SVT did all the work to get it there. I put on the smaller pulley, programmer and the duel fuel pump that helped. They also was able to keep my warranty as well.
And yes 540hp is nice but it is not a good deal at $75000+ at the dealer. The car is starting to look like Shelby's proto type that was in the new style 05 Mustang commercial. I think it should have been more than 540hp, cause at its first début of the GT500 it was only at 500hp. 40hp more, some different looks and I am sure it will be over $80000 wow that’s worth it.

P.S. as far exotics, our cars as far American is an exotic over seas trust me I have been there, and seen that.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...rt2/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...kit/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang upgrade 011.jpg (37.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by firemanjo; 02-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Stuck in my ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjo View Post
All I am saying is that if Shelby is got the backing he should try to do more with the 5.4L, and yes he has regulations to abide by but if he was to work with Roush, and Saleen to come up with one of those unique cars. They could make one hell of a car. Those two have production type cars who also have rules to follow. Saleen which is a California based company. The 5.4 has so much more that is hidden it, that if someone could unleash the potential of that engine. Holy crap!!!! Some average joe posted a dyno run with the first year of the GT500 some tuner mods on it and that engine pumped out over a 1000hp. Now that is what I am talking about.
Now I am in a club of mustang phonetics from Roush Trac Pack, Shelby GT500, Ford GT, Saleen, and to after market mods. As mine is a sleeper, looks like a normal GT but hidden it is 480hp 4.6L at the wheels, and yes it is a tuner but SVT did all the work to get it there. I put on the smaller pulley, programmer and the duel fuel pump that helped. They also was able to keep my warranty as well.
And yes 540hp is nice but it is not a good deal at $75000+ at the dealer. The car is starting to look like Shelby's proto type that was in the new style 05 Mustang commercial. I think it should have been more than 540hp, cause at its first début of the GT500 it was only at 500hp. 40hp more, some different looks and I am sure it will be over $80000 wow that’s worth it.

P.S. as far exotics, our cars as far American is an exotic over seas trust me I have been there, and seen that.

2007 Shelby GT500 - Bigger, Better Boost - Part 2 - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

2007 Ford Mustang GT 500 - Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit - 5.0 Mustang And Super Fords Magazine

Carroll Shelby doesn't make the GT500. He gave SVT some pointers and let them use his name on it, but SVT designed and built the car, and the GT500 rolls off a Ford assembly line. Shelby never touches it. The Shelby Super Snake, however is shipped to Las Vegas as a GT500, where Shelby Automobiles, Inc. does the modifications and adds an additional invoice before sending it to dealers. That car is a Shelby. It is available with up to 750 hp. No Cafe laws to worry about. No warranty with any more than 600 (I believe) hp. Pretty sure the car is 50 state emmissions legal, but not sure.

Ford Motor Company builds the GT500 as a production car, and with 540 hp, it's right up at the top of a horsepower list of cars costing hundreds of thousands of dollars more.
There are always going to be tuners that will find ways to improve a car, but to hold a manufacturer to those standards is a little unfair.

Again, Ford has an Ecoboosted 5 liter in the works, I'm sure. That should give it some punch. 2011...

Trick Flow upper/lower
65MM throttle body
Full exhaust
3.73 gears
Intake
Steeda suspension
More to come...